06 July 2009

Remember The Lord's Tender Mercies

On a day at the end of a weekend that was a part of a very long and complicated week, I have been again reminded of the many tender mercies which the Lord does bestow on me on a daily basis. My heart is full right now as I begin to think of the many things that have gone on today that have helped to remind me of those many tender mercies.

As I awoke this morning, I hopped out of bed and began to iron my clothes for the meeting today. I originally ironed by gray shirt, the one with the button that's on the wrong side of the cuff; and completely ironed it -- and then was prompted to get a new shirt. I wasn't sure why - because its a gray shirt that I've had for a couple of years and have worn on many occasions, but for some reason I was prompted to go to the closet and select a white shirt. When I arrived at church, I found that the number of Priesthood brethren was small and by me wearing a white shirt, I was able to officiate in the Sacrament which was important to the whole ward.

As I went through the meeting, there were a number of things that were weighing down on my mind. I was asked to help with the Fast Offerings following the meeting, and then afterwards I hung around for a few minutes to speak to the Bishop. I had him give me a blessing of comfort and counsel which told me of several things that I really needed to know right now.

The rest of the day went on without a whole lot of event. My mind was brought to the knowledge of certain doctrines as I pondered the words that had been mentioned during the meetings and classes today. I continually thought about things all throughout Stadium Singing tonight, and then I was reminded again of another small, but very tender mercy of the Lord.

We had just concluded singing Abide With Me Tis Eventide for the final hymn. We have had threats of severe weather throughout the day but yet we seemingly saw very little of it today. As we finished singing the song, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a flash of light...not unusual for Stadium Singing - could have been a camera. As the closing prayer was said, we began to feel a growing breeze evolving into a gusty wind. Once the prayer concluded, the wind kicked up into full force, and the flashing light - turned out to be lightning strikes off in the distance. It was awesome to behold - that the wind and lightning held off until literally seconds after the prayer. I was reminded again at that point that the Lord was blessing Stadium Singing and allowing us to worship Him in song and praise and that was answered with a blessing on our heads, presumably symbolic of His acceptance.

Our lesson in Elder's Quorum today was on Covenants - specifically covenant-keeping in times of trouble. I was reminded of the several times in the last week in which that has been challenged by the adversary. I have found myself at times tempted by many things, and the only thing that has kept me safe has been my stalwart observance and recognition of my covenants with God. That has been a very powerful reminded to me - because even when I am not strong enough on my own to handle temptation, I know that I can hold strong to the remembrance of my covenants and that alone will get me through the situation in times of trouble.

I'm grateful for the blessings of the gospel in my life; for the guidance it gives me and the safety it provides. I know that if I hold strong to my covenants and have faith in the Lord - I may not know what I will be blessed with, but I know that the Lord will indeed bless me, up to and including eternal life. Just my thoughts for the night.

No comments: