26 September 2009

Understanding the Plight of Abraham

In my Hebrew class recently, we have begun translating Genesis 22 and discussing some of the meanings behind the vocabulary in it. One of the phrases in there translates out to in the KJV of the Bible "that God did tempt Abraham" whereas in the Hebrew manuscript - it reads "וְהָאֱלֹהִים נִסּה אֶת־אַבְרָהָם" which is translated out to mean "and God tested Abraham"...

...only it doesn't REALLY translate out to the latter. The problem is that the verb form that is used in this instance isn't something we can relate to in English. Its what's known as an "intensive verb" meaning that it takes on the basic form of a verb, but it means so much more. For instance - we sometimes say fight, but we want a way to say "a really intense fight where both both competitors are putting their all into it" - but we don't have a one word verb for it. Thus, in Hebrew its the same way.

The reason I bring this up is because of what Bro. Baron began teaching us - which in turn inspired me to search the scriptures even further and come to a better understanding of what this means to me personally.

We begin our study of greater understanding with the 132nd Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, verse 29 (the one Bro. Baron directed us to read) which reads:

"Abraham received all things whatsoever he received, by relvealtion and commandment, by my word, saith the Lord, and hath entered into his exaltation and sitteth upon his throne." (Emphasis added)

Note that the key phrase in here is the words "all things." This inspired me to consider another scripture that I think more of us are familiar with - Abraham 3: 25 which reads:

"and we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;"(Emphasis added.

Again, notice the presence of the phrase "all things" - specifically all things that the Lord commands. As we consider this even more, we turn to the two scriptures in the footnotes - Doctrine and Covenants 98:14 and Doctrine and Covenants 124:55:

14: therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy." (Emphasis added)

55: "And again, verily I say unto you, I command you again to build a house to my name, even in this place, that you may prove yourselves unto me that ye are faithful in all things whatsoever I command you, that I may bless you and crown you with honor, immortality and eternal life. (Emphasis added).

Notice again and again the presence and specification of the term "all things" - but more importantly - the promise we gain from the 55th verse there which are those same blessings awarded to Abraham according to the first verse we studied.

Why was the term "test" even questioned in the first place? Its because the beginning of the verse in Genesis 22 reads "And it came to pass, that after these things..." The term "these things" is believed to refer to Genesis 11-22 which chronicles the life of Abraham. When studying these chapters, one will note that Abraham had been through many trials and tests already. Thus, for Abraham to be "tested" yet again in this instance - was either redundant, improperly cited, or as the Hebrew manuscript dictates - the term "test" is an intensive verb - meaning that it was much more than a test.

My interpretation is that the Lord wanted Abraham to "prove that he was faithful to Him in all things This is wholly applicable to our lives because of what the Lord asks of us. Each of us were sent to mortality to be tested, but not merely to pass, nor to endure all of the simple tests given to us, but rather for each and every one us to prove our faithfulness to the Father in all things that we are commanded to do - or worded in other ways to endure it well.

We must ask ourselves after knowing this - "am I doing what I can to prove in all things that I am being faithful to the Lord?" "Do I have faith enough to act upon anything I have been called to do at His hand?" "What can I do to show greater devotion to God and His commandments?"

I'm not perfect, nor will I ever be, but this did awaken me to a new train of thought - to see if I am proving myself worthy of inheriting those same blessings as Father Abraham!

No comments: